by Jay Reesor
April is here and that means the Ontario growing season has begun. Here’s my top 10 list of what has already happened or needs to happen this month on the farm:
1. A walkabout of the farm to check what has happened around here over the winter such as ice storm damage.
2. Check that the underground drainage system is operating properly.
3. Remove some of the straw from the strawberries.
4. Place the floating row cover on top of the early strawberries to warm the soil to allow it to be ready earlier.
5. Clean up our outdoor workshop and get it ready for our busy season.
6. Do maintenance and repairs on all of the tractors and farm equipment.
7. Make sure that all of our farm supplies are on hand and ready to go as soon as the weather cooperates.
8. Finalize our planting plans depending on the weather and the various field conditions.
9. Get started on any building and major improvement planning and construction.
10. And of course last but not least, begin planting!
We hope to plant sweet corn this month to be ready in mid-July. Wow! So, ready, set, go…..here we grow!