Ricotta cheese makes these pancakes fluffy and moist. Serve with warm maple syrup.
For an extra treat, blend together some orange juice concentrate, icing sugar and butter for an extra hit of orange on top of the pancakes.
Tip: Watch the temperature of the frying pan carefully because these pancakes are tender and can easily burn.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
2. In another bowl, whisk the egg, cheese, milk, orange juice, butter, orange zest and vanilla.
3. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients all at once. Stir just until moistened. Let batter rest for 5-10 minutes.
4. Pour batter by 1/4 cups onto a greased medium to medium-high frying pan or griddle; turn when bubbles form on top or when golden brown on bottom. Cook until the second side is golden brown.
Yield: 12 pancakes
Originally published as Orange Ricotta Pancakes in the magazine Country Woman.